Thursday, December 31, 2015

Emails with my Father, continued.

>------- Original Message -------
>From : Tamsen Armstrong[mailto:tamsen345@comcast.net]
>Sent : 7/22/2012 4:45:34 PM
>To : normvance@hrecn.net; annevance@hrecn.net
>Cc : 
>Subject : RE: railroad crossing
>
>Well, this was a two day project that started yesterday out at the Carquinez Straits with my friend Kim Homes.. I sketched the composition first, then started painting. The funny part was when the trains would come by (it seemed like every 15 minutes!) and broke my concentration! But it was lovely to be outdoors in the sunshine. When I took it home, I realized I was much too tentative and stingy with the paint, so I loaded up by brushes and went to work! I like it so much better now. Im sorry I did not take a photo of the first step, but here is my (nearly) first landscape in oils. It just needs a few more highlights and some detailing on the sign. I hope you think it is decent. I think I was trying to emulate your bold color strokes, Dad. Love you both!

TamZ 
From: "Norman K Vance" <normvance@hrecn.net>
Date: July 22, 2012 6:11:31 PM PDT
To: tamsen345@comcast.net
Subject: RE: railroad crossing critique
Reply-To: "" <Norman K Vance>

GOOD ONE!!!  Your composition is good, but I would like to see the tree trunks a bit smaller, and one tree trunk looks like it is resting on the track.
I love your choice of colors, and your application technique/  
Tone down the tree leaves, they overpower the study.  Use mix of chromium oxide and a bit of naples yellow for this.  
All in all, a very good study, worthy of a glance from Edward Hopper!
love
Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment